I will try and tell this story as easily as possible. The boys have had the flu the past few days and I came down with it as well on Sunday. Monday morning we woke up after a LONG night. Derek got home from work that morning at about 7:45 and I was still in bed. Derek was playing with the kids down stairs when I heard "JANNETTE, CALL 911 CALEB'S HAVING A SEIZURE!" I ran to get the phone and saw that Caleb was seizing and was completely blue. It was very frightening!!! I called 911, and they put me on hold... It felt like forever, but it was probably only 30 sec. I was so grateful Derek was home!
The fire deptartment showed up and they were awesome!! Caleb came out of it fine before they arrived, but the paramedics checked all of his vitals and temp and everything was just fine. So they told us to follow up with his doctor.
We took him to the pediatrician's office and Caleb seemed totally fine. He was happy and running around the play room and we felt that maybe it was just a weird fluke that it happened and that he was going to be fine. They took us back to a room where we waited while the nurse took his temp. He didn't have a fever and was acting fine. A few minutes later his eyes rolled back and he started to fall as he went into another seizure. They put O2 on him until he came out of it and then wanted us to have him taken by ambulance to Primary Children's Hospital.
Up there they did several tests and a CT scan and they really couldn't find anything other than he was dehydrated and his glucose levels were low, so they gave him plenty of fluids. They thought maybe that was the problem, but referred us to a neurologist for further testing and sent us home.
We came home and ate dinner, and then at about 6:00 pm he had another seizure while I was sitting on the couch with him. I called the hospital and they called in a prescription for an anti-convulsant medication which made him very sleepy. I was afraid to let him out of my sight!! So he slept in between us all night and was fine. The next morning, after his 3rd dose of the medication, we noticed that he was so loopy he could barely keep his eyes open and couldn't even walk. You would have thought he was drunk!! I called the pharmacy just to make sure this was normal and they thought maybe he might have been given the wrong dose and then told me to call poison control. So I did and they were also concerned and told me to call his doctor. I called the hospital back and poison control was already on the other line with them. Primary Children's told us to come back up there and have him checked right away.
They checked the levels in his blood and everything was fine. They just said it is a pretty big dose for the first 24 hours and he is probably just adjusting to the medicine. They answered some other questions we had and we felt reassured when we left. So, after an emotionally draining 2 days we are home and feeling a little better about things and we're hoping it's nothing permanent. We just have to wait for his appointment with the neurologist later this month to see if they can find anything.
We just want to say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to all of you who helped out and for all the prayers the past few days!! You know who you are and we love you all!
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
A Very Scary Day!!
Posted by Derek and Jannette
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
Jeanette! This is The scariest thing i have heard! One of my worst nightmeres...something happens and you have no idea what to do! you are so brave!
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that your little family is going through this! That is so scary! I really hope they find out what's going on with him quickly. We will keep you in our prayers...
It is so scary to have sick little ones. We have been thinking of you guys the past couple days and hope and pray all is well.
So scary! We will be praying for your family too. So sorry to hear you guys are going through this.
Oh seeing him in the hospital just breaks my heart! I have such a fear of something like this happening, you guys are so strong!
You should talk to Jamie though..they went through all of this with Maddi a few years ago. She is VERY knowledgeable on all the treatments and medications and their side effects.
Oh wow. No one should have to watch their child go through that. How scary. I hope he is better and it was all due to dehydration. You will be in our prayers.
Oh,Jannette and Derek.....how frightening for you. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I echo Julie's comments.....call Jamie. When Maddi was going through her seizures, she found the best doctors and really became quite an expert. She could be such a support for you. (Maddi is doing fine now, but had to go through a year of medication, etc.---but Jamie can tell you all about it.)
Oh my gosh Jannette! That is so scary. I am so sorry. Please let me know if I can do anything to help. I will keep you in my prayers. Love ya
I my Gosh Janette!!! How scary!! I got chills just reading about it. I hope everything turns out fine. You are in our prayers.
We are so sorry...What a scary thing to happen!!! We hope you are all feeling better, especially little Caleb. We'll keep you close in our thoughts!
I'm happy to hear he is doing better today. We'll keep praying for him. Let us know if there is anything we can do.
We Love you guys!
Scary! Hope you all get it figured out soon. He looks adorable though I have to say!
It's been good talking to you, Jannette and Derek. We're glad Caleb is responding well and we're hoping for the best. It looks good.
You are good parents. He's a lucky little boy.
Love, Grandpa and Grandma Linda
We are glad that everything is okay with Caleb. I couldn't imagine A having a seizure. Your in our prayers.
The Rowberrys
Holy freakin' crap that is soooo scarey. I am so glad that Derek knows all about that stuff and how to handle it. BUt I am sooo glad that everything has turned out ok. I will send you a xmas card asap. If you ever happen to come down this way give me a call. I miss you so much. Especially when I see pics of you. Keep me updated!!!
Post a Comment